| Name | UP Chariton River Bridge Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Bridge #219 |
| Built By | Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway |
| Currently Owned By | Union Pacific Railroad |
| Superstructure Contractor | American Bridge Company of New York (Center Span) King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio (South Span) Unknown (North span) |
| Substructure Contractor | J.C. Dunn of Chicago, Illinois (Piers) Unknown (Abutments) |
| Length | 225 Feet Total, 100 Foot Main Span |
| Width | 1 Track |
| Height Above Ground | 20 Feet (Estimated) |
| Superstructure Design | Deck Plate Girder |
| Substructure Design | Concrete |
| Date Fabricated | 1898 (South Span) c. 1900 (North Span) 1912 (Center Span) |
| Date Erected | 1912 (Center Span) c. 1940 (Approach Spans) |
| Original Location | Unknown (North Span) Unknown (South Span) |
| Traffic Count | 10 Trains/Day (Estimated) |
| Current Status | In Use |
| Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Bridge Number | 219 |
| Union Pacific Railroad Bridge Number | 21.90 |
| Significance | Local Significance |
| Documentation Date | 2/27/2021 |
In 1871, the Chicago & South Western Railway constructed 61 miles of new railroad between Shearwood, Missouri and Allerton, Iowa, as part of a larger project to construct a line between Leavenworth, Kansas and Washington, Iowa. In 1873, the Des Moines, Indianola & Missouri Railroad (DMI&M) constructed a 21 mile railroad line, extending from Des Moines, Iowa south to Avon, Iowa; and west to Indianola, Iowa. Both railroads would be sold to the Iowa Northern & Missouri Southern Railroad in 1876, which was merged into the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway in 1880. The Rock Island had acquired and constructed a network of railroads, particularly in Iowa. This route served as a branch line to a small town near Des Moines. During the 1880s and 1890s, the Rock Island expanded westwards, reaching Colorado and New Mexico. Additions to the system during the early 1900s included a number of new lines in Minnesota and northern Iowa. In 1911, the St. Paul & Kansas City Short Line Railroad, a subsidiary of the Rock Island, constructed 65 miles between Avon, Iowa and Allerton, Iowa; connecting the two lines. This new line was built as part of a larger project to connect the northern and southern portions of the system. To reach Kansas City, the Rock Island utilized trackage rights over the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad from Cameron Junction to Kansas City. In 1931, the Rock Island constructed a new line from near Trenton to Birmingham, located just outside of Kansas City. From Polo to Birmingham, the route would parallel the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad tracks, and the two railroads operated as a double track route, with separate mainlines. In 1945, a new bridge across the Missouri River was jointly constructed by the two railroads.
The Rock Island had constructed and acquired a large railroad network
throughout the Midwest. The Kansas City-Des Moines-St. Paul route would become known as the "Spine Line". After World War II, the Rock Island struggled
to survive, proposing
mergers and deferring maintenance on their routes. The Rock Island
struggled to compete with a stronger and better constructed Union
Pacific system. By 1964, the Rock Island began attempts to merge with
Union Pacific, and
restructure railroads west of the Mississippi River. This merger was
eventually denied, and Rock Island turned its last profit in 1965. In
the mid-1970s, the railroad was in serious decline. The railroad
received loans to attempt to fix slow orders, received new equipment and
turn a profit. By 1978, the railroad came close to profit, but
creditors were lobbying for a complete shutdown of the Rock Island.
During the fall of 1979, a strike crippled the railroad, and by January
of 1980, the entire system was ordered to be shut down and liquidated.
Many of the lines and equipment were scrapped. Profitable sections of
railroad were prepared for sale. The Chicago & North Western Railway (C&NW) and Soo Line both had
interest in the Spine Line, with the C&NW eventually purchasing the
route. During 1982 and 1983, significant money was allocated for
rebuilding the deteriorated route, and trains began using the route. In
1995, C&NW was purchased by Union Pacific Railroad (UP). Union
Pacific continues to operate this route as the Trenton Subdivision. CPKC now operates the former Milwaukee Road portion of this segment.
View an article discussing the construction of this line (digitized by Google)
Located south of Chariton, this deck plate girder bridge carries a former Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (Rock Island) mainline over the Chariton River. Little is known about the history of this structure. When the Rock Island constructed the St. Paul & Kansas City Short Line between 1911 and 1913, it is thought that this was one of a handful of steel bridges constructed along the line. Initially, this bridge consisted of a single deck plate girder span, set onto concrete piers and approached by timber pile trestle spans at either end. Timber approaches were commonly used to allow approach embankments to settle without damaging the steel and concrete portions of the bridge. The intention was to either fill or replace these approaches with steel spans as soon as practical. By the late 1930s and early 1940s, the embankments had settled enough to allow for permanent spans to be installed. In approximately 1940, the approach spans were reconstructed with secondhand deck plate girder spans, giving the bridge its present configuration. It is unclear if the approaches were constructed as part of the same project, or were built at different dates. Currently, the bridge consists of a 100-foot deck plate girder span, approached by a 70-foot deck plate girder span on the south end and a 35-foot deck plate girder span on the north end. The entire bridge is set onto concrete substructures, which may have been constructed at different times. The main span uses a standard design, consisting of two very heavy plate girders and a timber ballast deck. It is believed that this span was fabricated in 1912, and is original to this location. The south span was originally fabricated in 1898 for use at an unknown location. This span uses a similar design to the main span. The north span was originally fabricated in approximately 1900 for use at unknown location(s). This span follows a "twinned" design, with four shallow plate girders and a ballast deck. It is unclear if the span was twinned upon being relocated here, or if it was previously twinned. The piers follow a standard design, and consist of large rectangular shaped structures founded on timber piles. This design of pier is slightly different than other bridges along this line, which use a diamond shape. The abutments also use a standard design, with the south abutment using a "U" shaped design and the north abutment having short sloped wing walls. American Bridge Company fabricated the center span, while the south span was fabricated by the King Bridge Company and the north span was fabricated by an unknown firm. It is believed that J.C. Dunn constructed the piers, while the substructures were constructed by unknown contractor(s). The different types of abutments could possibly suggest that the approaches were installed at different times. Railroads often reused steel and iron spans, as it provided a cost effective way to upgrade bridges without requiring large amounts of new material. Twinning girder spans was a popular technique to strengthen existing spans, while reusing material already on hand. The Rock Island undertook several programs in the 20th Century to strengthen mainline bridges using this method. Deck plate girder spans were popular for railroad use, as they were durable and easy to construct. Since the approaches were reconstructed, the bridge has seen no significant alterations. Today, the bridge remains in use as part of a Union Pacific Railroad mainline. Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair to good condition, with no significant deterioration noted. The author has ranked the bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
Citations
| Build date (center span) | Based on construction of line |
| Builder (center span superstructure) | American Bridge Company stenciling |
| Builder (south span superstructure) | King Bridge Company plaque |
| Builder (piers) | The Railway and Engineering Review; May 27, 1911 |
| Railroad History Citation | ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele |