Balfour (272nd Street) Overpass


Click the photo to view the full-size version

1/16
Date Taken:
Author:
Caption:

Name Balfour (272nd Street) Overpass
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Bridge #467.17
Built By Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad
Currently Owned By BNSF Railway
Superstructure Contractor Unknown
Length 170 Feet Total, 45 Foot Main Span
Width 22 Feet
Height Above Ground 25 Feet (Estimated)
Superstructure Design Through Plate Girder and Timber Pile Trestle
Substructure Design Timber Pile
Date Built 1952, Using a Span Fabricated c. 1910
Original Location Unknown
Traffic Count 50 Vehicles/Day (2016)
Current Status Open to Automobile Traffic
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Bridge Number 467.17
BNSF Railway Bridge Number 467.17
Significance Local Significance
Documentation Date 11/28/2020

In May 1854, the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad (B&MR) began constructing a new mainline across southern Iowa, with the goal of connecting the Mississippi River at Burlington, Iowa to the Missouri River near Omaha, Nebraska.  In 1857, the first 34 miles between Burlington and the Skunk River near Rome, Iowa were completed.  In 1859, an additional 41 miles between the Skunk River and Ottumwa, Iowa were completed.  The railroad ceased progress during the Civil War, and eventually continued west in 1866.  That year, an additional 24 miles were completed between Ottumwa and Albia, Iowa.  Work continued in 1867, when an additional 46 miles were completed to Woodburn, Iowa.  Between 1867 and 1868, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) constructed a bridge across the Mississippi River to connect this line to their lines in Chicago.  In 1868, an additional 34 miles opened west to Afton, Iowa; followed by an additional 59 miles west to Red Oak, Iowa in 1869 and an additional 32 miles to the Pacific Junction, Iowa in 1870.  In 1872, the B&MR was leased by the CB&Q; and was fully absorbed by the company in 1875.  In the 1870s, the line would be extended into Nebraska, and in 1880, a bridge was constructed across the Missouri River at Plattsmouth.   

This line formed a critical backbone for the CB&Q, connecting Chicago to territories west of the Missouri River.  By the late 1870s, the need for a second track on this route had become apparent.  A second track was constructed between Chillicothe, Iowa and Albia in 1879, including a new alignment around the south side of Albia.  In 1880, a second track was constructed between Burlington and West Burlington, Iowa; as well as between Albia and Russell, Iowa.  In 1885, a second track was constructed between Russell and Chariton, Iowa; followed by between Ottumwa and Chillicothe the following year.  A large segment of second track opened between West Burlington and Mt. Pleasant, Iowa in 1889.  By the turn of the 20th Century, several sections of this line required extensive upgrades in addition to a second track.  In 1900, a second track was completed from Mt. Pleasant to Ottumwa and from Chariton to Creston, Iowa.  A new alignment was constructed between Fairfield, Iowa and Batavia, Iowa; and between Agency, Iowa and Ottumwa in 1900.  In 1901, the line was double tracked between Chariton and Creston.  The 1901 work involved constructing a second single track alignment between Indianola Junction and Lucas, Iowa; between Woodburn and Osceola, Iowa and between Murray, Iowa and Creston.  Between 1902 and 1905, the Creston to Pacific Junction segment was double tracked.  In 1904, a realignment between Nodaway, Iowa and Emerson, Iowa opened to traffic; followed by a large realignment between Malvern, Iowa and Pacific Junction in 1905.

Throughout the 20th Century, this line remained critical to the CB&Q.  The CB&Q invested significant capital into maintaining this line, replacing bridges, revising grades and changing the alignment in spots.  One of the most prominent changes came in 1949, when the westbound track near Frederic, Iowa was straightened, to eliminate a segment of curvy original mainline.  In 1970, CB&Q merged with Northern Pacific Railway and Great Northern Railway to form Burlington Northern Railroad (BN).  Several segments of this line were single tracked in the mid to late 20th Century.  In 1996, BN merged with Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway to form BNSF Railway, the current owner of this line.  Today, this line remains a critical piece of railroad infrastructure.  BNSF currently operates a portion of the Ottumwa Subdivision between Burlington and Creston; and a portion of the Creston Subdivision between Creston and Pacific Junction.  


Located between Malvern and Glenwood, this through plate girder overpass carries 272nd Street across a BNSF Railway (former Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad) mainline at the former station of Balfour. Originally, the CB&Q mainline took a different route through the area, running further south through Hillsdale. Between 1902 and 1903, the CB&Q undertook a major project to rebuild the mainline through western Iowa, realigning the route and constructing a second track. As part of the project, a new overpass was constructed at this location. This overpass consisted of a 34-foot Kingpost pony truss, approached by timber pile trestle spans on either side. This type of bridge was used extensively for overpasses along the CB&Q mainline in Iowa during the early 20th Century. The original overpass crossed the railroad at a jagged angle, resulting in less horizontal clearance for the below and dangerous curves on the roadway. In 1952, the roadway was straightened and the present overpass was constructed.

Currently, the bridge consists of a 45-foot through plate girder span, approached by timber pile trestle spans on either end. The entire bridge is set onto timber pile substructures. The main span was originally fabricated in approximately 1910 as a railroad bridge at an unknown location, before being rebuilt and reused here. When the span was installed here, it was widened to carry a 22-foot roadway deck and a new floor system installed. The main span follows a standard design for CB&Q through plate girder bridges, with two heavy plate girders and deep tapered girder ends. The remainder of the bridge follows a standard timber pile trestle overpass design, with typical bents and stringers. An unknown contractor fabricated the main span, while the remainder of the bridge was constructed by railroad company forces. Girder spans were popular for railroad use, as they were durable and easy to construct. Railroads often reused steel and iron spans, as it provided a cost effective way to construct bridges without requiring large amounts of new material. Often, when a span was no longer feasible for railroad use, it could be rebuilt and reused for roadway use, which did not have the same loading requirements. In the late 19th and into the 20th Century, hundreds of overpasses were constructed throughout the United States by reusing metal railroad bridge spans. As automobiles became larger and heavier in the 20th Century, these spans became outdated often had severe geometric deficiencies. Since the mid-20th Century, a vast majority of reused railroad spans in the United States have been removed or replaced. Often, the metal portions of these bridges were still serviceable, but poor geometry, limited records and deteriorated timber components required the complete replacement of the structure. Because these bridges were typically maintained by the railroad, records are not typically publicly available. As a result, the complete history of the bridge is often unclear, and historic determinations are made using absent or incomplete information. Since the initial construction, the bridge has seen only minor repairs, and continues to carry a fair number of vehicles. Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair condition, with some deterioration noted to the timber portions of the bridge. The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design and unknown history.


Citations

Erection date The Malvern Leader; May 29, 1952
Railroad History Citation ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele

Loading...