BNSF Des Moines River Bridge (Ottumwa)


Click the photo to view the full-size version

1/55
Date Taken:
Author:
Caption:

Name BNSF Des Moines River Bridge (Ottumwa)
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Bridge #284.12
Built By Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad
BNSF Railway
Currently Owned By BNSF Railway
Superstructure Contractor King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio (Spans #1-#5 and #14-#19)
Unknown (Spans #6-#13)
Substructure Contractor Unknown
Design Engineer (Span #6-#13) Hanson Professional Services Inc. of Springfield, Illinois
Length 1426 Feet Total, 190 Foot Main Spans
Width 2 Tracks
Height Above Ground 20 Feet (Estimated)
Superstructure Design Warren Through Truss, Steel Stringer and Deck Plate Girder
Substructure Design Stone Masonry and Concrete
Date Built 1904, Rebuilt 2001
Traffic Count 25 Trains/Day (Estimated)
Current Status In Use
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Bridge Number 284.12
BNSF Railway Bridge Number 284.12
Significance Local Significance
Documentation Date 3/21/2020

In May 1854, the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad (B&MR) began constructing a new mainline across southern Iowa, with the goal of connecting the Mississippi River at Burlington, Iowa to the Missouri River near Omaha, Nebraska.  In 1857, the first 34 miles between Burlington and the Skunk River near Rome, Iowa were completed.  In 1859, an additional 41 miles between the Skunk River and Ottumwa, Iowa were completed.  The railroad ceased progress during the Civil War, and eventually continued west in 1866.  That year, an additional 24 miles were completed between Ottumwa and Albia, Iowa.  Work continued in 1867, when an additional 46 miles were completed to Woodburn, Iowa.  Between 1867 and 1868, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) constructed a bridge across the Mississippi River to connect this line to their lines in Chicago.  In 1868, an additional 34 miles opened west to Afton, Iowa; followed by an additional 59 miles west to Red Oak, Iowa in 1869 and an additional 32 miles to the Pacific Junction, Iowa in 1870.  In 1872, the B&MR was leased by the CB&Q; and was fully absorbed by the company in 1875.  In the 1870s, the line would be extended into Nebraska, and in 1880, a bridge was constructed across the Missouri River at Plattsmouth.   

This line formed a critical backbone for the CB&Q, connecting Chicago to territories west of the Missouri River.  By the late 1870s, the need for a second track on this route had become apparent.  A second track was constructed between Chillicothe, Iowa and Albia in 1879, including a new alignment around the south side of Albia.  In 1880, a second track was constructed between Burlington and West Burlington, Iowa; as well as between Albia and Russell, Iowa.  In 1885, a second track was constructed between Russell and Chariton, Iowa; followed by between Ottumwa and Chillicothe the following year.  A large segment of second track opened between West Burlington and Mt. Pleasant, Iowa in 1889.  By the turn of the 20th Century, several sections of this line required extensive upgrades in addition to a second track.  In 1900, a second track was completed from Mt. Pleasant to Ottumwa and from Chariton to Creston, Iowa.  A new alignment was constructed between Fairfield, Iowa and Batavia, Iowa; and between Agency, Iowa and Ottumwa in 1900.  In 1901, the line was double tracked between Chariton and Creston.  The 1901 work involved constructing a second single track alignment between Indianola Junction and Lucas, Iowa; between Woodburn and Osceola, Iowa and between Murray, Iowa and Creston.  Between 1902 and 1905, the Creston to Pacific Junction segment was double tracked.  In 1904, a realignment between Nodaway, Iowa and Emerson, Iowa opened to traffic; followed by a large realignment between Malvern, Iowa and Pacific Junction in 1905.

Throughout the 20th Century, this line remained critical to the CB&Q.  The CB&Q invested significant capital into maintaining this line, replacing bridges, revising grades and changing the alignment in spots.  One of the most prominent changes came in 1949, when the westbound track near Frederic, Iowa was straightened, to eliminate a segment of curvy original mainline.  In 1970, CB&Q merged with Northern Pacific Railway and Great Northern Railway to form Burlington Northern Railroad (BN).  Several segments of this line were single tracked in the mid to late 20th Century.  In 1996, BN merged with Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway to form BNSF Railway, the current owner of this line.  Today, this line remains a critical piece of railroad infrastructure.  BNSF currently operates a portion of the Ottumwa Subdivision between Burlington and Creston; and a portion of the Creston Subdivision between Creston and Pacific Junction.  


Located west of Ottumwa, this through truss and deck plate girder bridge carries a former Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad mainline over the Des Moines River. This bridge has an extensive history, including numerous reconstructions, alterations and partial replacements. The first bridge at this location was likely a single track wooden through truss bridge, constructed when the line was first built. In 1880, the bridge was rebuilt with five 140-foot iron Pratt through truss spans, set onto new stone substructures and likely approached with timber pile trestle spans on either end. In 1899, the CB&Q double tracked the line at this location. Instead of completely reconstructing the bridge, it was decided to extend the piers north with new stone and place five new 140-foot double track Pratt through truss spans on the piers. It is unclear if the previous bridge spans were reused at another location. In 1904, the bridge was further altered when a series of deck plate girder spans were installed on each end, set onto concrete substructures. The truss spans were strengthened with additional bracing at the corners of the portals in 1928, and the main span piers were completely encased in concrete in 1937 and 1943.

Between 1904 and 2001, the bridge consisted of one 50-foot deck plate girder span (originally span #1), four 60-foot deck plate girder spans (spans #2-#5), five 140-foot, 7-panel, pin-connected Pratt through truss spans (spans #6 through #10) and an additional seven 60-foot deck plate girder spans (spans #11 through #17). Both abutments (originally piers #1 and #18) and the approach piers (piers #2 through #5 and #12 through #17) were entirely constructed of concrete, while piers #6 through #11 were constructed of stone and later encased in concrete. Lassig Bridge & Iron Works fabricated the five truss spans, while King Bridge Company fabricated the remaining deck plate girder spans. The original stonework of piers #6 through #11 was constructed by an unknown contractor, and the additional stone extensions to those piers in 1899 was also likely constructed by an unknown contractor. It is unclear if the remaining piers and abutments were constructed by an unknown contractor or by railroad company forces. It is also unclear if the various alterations to the bridge were made by unknown contractors or by railroad company forces.

The truss spans all followed an unusual variation of a standard CB&Q design, with heavy built-up members, an unusual portal bracing and a standard floor system. Both the top chord and endpost used a built-up construction, consisting of a box shaped beam with a solid plate on the exterior and V-lacing on the interior. The bottom chord used two different designs, with a V-laced built-up box beam at the outer two panels and eyebars for the center three panels. The vertical members mainly consisted of V-laced beams, while the diagonal members mainly consisted of eyebars of different thicknesses. The floor system consisted of two heavy plate girder stringers per track and plate girder floorbeams. The lower lateral bracing was composed of L-shaped bars, while the upper lateral lacing used a set of two L-shaped bars connected by thin plates. The portal bracing used an unusual modified M-frame design, constructed using V-laced beams. The sway bracing consisted of an unusual X-laced beam. At the joints with the top chord, large angled brackets were installed during the 1928 strengthening to provide greater rigidity between the portal and sway bracing. The deck plate girder spans used a standard design, consisting of two heavy plate girders and an open deck. The main piers (piers #6 through #11) used a standard diamond shaped design, meant to protect the bridge from river ice. The approach piers all used a standard rounded rectangle shape, while the abutments used a standard rectangular shape with no wing walls.

By the end of the 20th Century, the main truss spans had become too light for modern railroad traffic, and plans were made to reconstruct the bridge. It was decided to replace the truss spans with spans of different designs and sizes, retaining almost all of the deck plate girder spans. Work began on the bridge in 2000, and the project was completed at the end of 2001. As part of the work, spans #1 through #4 were retained and span #5 was shortened to 30 feet. Piers #1 through #5 were also retained with no alterations. Two new 190-foot, 8-panel, riveted Warren through truss spans (spans #6 and #7) were installed on new concrete piers (piers #6, #7 and #8). These spans are flanked by five 70-foot steel stringer spans on the west (spans #8 through #12), which are set onto two new concrete piers (piers #10 and #12) and reused three old piers (piers #9, #11 and #13; formerly piers #9, #10 and #11). The entire west approach (renumbered spans #13 through #19) and west approach substructure (renumbered piers #14 through #20) were retained with minimal alterations. The truss spans use a standard design for the era, with members constructed from heavy punch-plate style beams, high strength bolts, a ballast deck and an M-frame portal bracing. The steel stringer spans also follow a standard design, with six beams per track and a ballast deck. All new steel consists of a pre-weathered material. The new piers consist of drilled shafts connected by a concrete beam and diamond shaped piers. Unknown contractors fabricated and constructed the new spans and piers, and Hanson Professional Services, Inc. oversaw the design.

While replacement plans were underway, an intensive historic survey was conducted on the bridge between 1999 and 2000. It was determined that the bridge was eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion "A" and "C". As part of a Memorandum of Understanding, extensive documentation of the bridge was required before it could be reconstructed. The Pratt truss design were arguably the most popular railroad truss pattern in the second half of the 19th Century, as it was simple, economical and easy to construct. This design was largely superseded by Warren spans around the turn of the 20th Century. This design provided greater rigidity while maintaining the simplicity and economy. Deck plate girder spans were popular for railroad use, as they were durable and easy to construct. Since the initial construction, the bridge has seen no significant alterations, and remains in regular use. Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair to good condition, with some spalling noted to the original substructures and deterioration noted in the deck plate girder spans. The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, as it has been heavily altered and no longer contains the historic through truss spans.


Citations

Builders and build dates Iowa Historic Property Study; Iowa Site Inventory 90-08013; Prepared by Architectural and Historical Research, L.L.C.; November 2000
Build date and design engineer (spans #6 through #12) Hanson Professional Services, Inc. website
Railroad History Citation ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele

Loading...