BNSF Brushy Creek Bridge (Dedham)


Click the photo to view the full-size version

1/25
Date Taken:
Author:
Caption:

Name BNSF Brushy Creek Bridge (Dedham)
Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad Bridge #Z-1286
Built By Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway
Currently Owned By BNSF Railway
Superstructure Contractor Milwaukee Bridge Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Substructure Builder Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company Forces
Design Engineer Charles Frederick Loweth
Length 198 Feet Total, 90 Foot Main Span
Width 1 Track, Formerly 2 Tracks
Height Above Ground 40 Feet (Estimated)
Superstructure Design Deck Plate Girder and Concrete Arch Skeleton Abutment
Substructure Design Concrete
Date Built 1913
Traffic Count 1 Train/Day (Estimated)
Current Status In Use
Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad Bridge Number Z-1286
BNSF Railway Bridge Number 400.00
Significance Local Significance
Documentation Date 10/20/2018

In 1870, the Sabula, Ackley & Dakota Rail Road (SA&D) constructed a 21-mile railroad line, extending from the Mississippi River at Sabula, Iowa to Preston, Iowa. The following year, an additional 12 miles were completed to Delmar, Iowa.  In 1872, an additional 54 miles were completed to Marion, Iowa.  In 1872, the SA&D was conveyed to the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway (M&StP), which reorganized as the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway (Milwaukee Road) in 1874. In 1882, the Milwaukee Road completed an additional 257 miles between Marion and Council Bluffs, Iowa; completing a mainline from the Mississippi River to the Missouri River.  The same year, a bridge across the Mississippi River was completed at Sabula, which connected to the existing Milwaukee Road system in Illinois.  By the late 19th Century, the Milwaukee Road had developed a large railroad network throughout the Midwest.  This line quickly became a principal mainline for the Milwaukee Road, and allowed for the connection and construction of other branch lines throughout Iowa. 

In 1901, a short 12-mile cutoff was completed between Green Island, Iowa and Browns Junction, Iowa; which shortened the distance and provided better grades.  The original line was retained as a second track.  In the early 20th Century, the Milwaukee Road was aware of the importance of this line, and a massive construction project was planned to modernize the line.  Between 1912 and 1915, the line between Green Island and Manilla, Iowa was extensively rebuilt, with a second track constructed and large sections of line relocated.  The result was one of the most modern double track lines in Iowa, complete with smooth curves, gentle grades and new bridges.  After completion of the project, some short sections of the original line were retained as spurs, which were abandoned by the early 1920s.  The Milwaukee Road failed to accurately project the level of traffic over this line, and traffic never reached the threshold that required a double track line. The Milwaukee Road was often in financial trouble, especially after the costly Pacific Extension was completed in 1909. In 1925, the company declared bankruptcy, and reorganized as the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad in 1928.  Despite the financial strain, this line remained an important mainline for the Milwaukee Road.  Segments between Marion and Covington, Iowa; Newhall, Iowa and Collins, Iowa; and Madrid, Iowa and Templeton, Iowa were reduced to a single track in 1934.  The segment between Green Island and Paralta, Iowa was reduced to a single track in 1950; the segment between Paralta and Marion in 1954; the segment between Collins and Madrid, Iowa in 1956 and the segment between Covington and Newhall in 1964.  In addition, the original line east of Browns Junction was abandoned in 1950.  Financial hardship continued through the 20th Century for the Milwaukee Road, and the railroad again filed bankruptcy in 1977.  In 1980, the Milwaukee Road decided to abandon the entire Iowa Division mainline.  The segment between Bayard, Iowa and Council Bluffs was sold to Burlington Northern Railroad (BN).  Segments between Perry, Iowa and Bayard and between Slater, Iowa and Woodward were sold to the Chicago & North Western Railway (C&NW).  A short segment at Marion was sold to the Chicago Central & Pacific Railroad (CC).

In 1985, the segment between Herndon and Bayard was abandoned by the C&NW.  In 1995, the C&NW was purchased by Union Pacific Railroad (UP).  In 1996, BN merged with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway to form BNSF Railway.  The CC was purchased by Illinois Central Railroad (IC) in 1996, and the IC was purchased by Canadian National Railway (CN) in 1998.  In 1999, the segment between Dawson, Iowa and Herndon was abandoned by UP.  In 2002, most of the segment at Marion was abandoned by CN.  Between 2003 and 2004, the remaining portions between Slater and Woodward and between Perry and Dawson were abandoned by UP.  Today, BNSF operates the Bayard to Council Bluffs segment as the Bayard Subdivision, and CN still operates a short segment of line in Hiawatha.  Linn County has developed large sections around Marion into the Grant Wood Trail.  A section west of Rhodes, Iowa has been reused as a trail; and segments between Collins and Slater have been reused as the Heart of Iowa Nature Trail.  Much of the line between Slater and Perry has been reused as the High Trestle Trail; and the line between Perry and Herndon has been reused as the Raccoon River Valley Trail.  Remaining segments have been abandoned, with much of the right-of-way still intact.  In addition, large segments of the original right-of-way that was replaced in the early 20th Century remain intact.


View historic articles discussing the double tracking of this line (digitized by Google)

Located on the west side of Dedham, this large deck plate girder bridge carries a former Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road) mainline over Brushy Creek. Originally, the Milwaukee Road mainline between Dedham and Templeton took a significantly different route, turning southwest at Dedham and generally following Iowa Highway 141. The original bridge across Brushy Creek (Bridge #Z-1284) likely consisted of a timber pile trestle bridge, located east of 4th Avenue and south of 305th Street. In 1898, the bridge was rebuilt with a 65-foot through plate girder span, fabricated by the Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Company. Between 1912 and 1915, the Milwaukee Road reconstructed the mainline across Iowa, improving the alignment and grades, constructing new bridges and adding a second track. As part of the work, the railroad was completely realigned between Dedham and Templeton, taking a more northerly route between the two towns. In 1913, the present bridge was constructed over Brushy Creek significantly further northwest than the old bridge. The 65-foot span was reused at Bridge #T-598 near Hudson, South Dakota in 1914, and was later reused at Bridge #Y-108 near Panora, Iowa in 1944. The southern deck plate girder span of the current bridge was removed in approximately 1940, and was likely reused elsewhere on the Milwaukee Road system.

Currently, the bridge consists of a 90-foot deck plate girder span, approached by a double track 54-foot concrete arch skeleton abutment on either end. The entire bridge is set onto concrete substructures, which are founded on timber piles. The main span uses a standard design, with two massive plate girders and a ballast deck. Originally, the main span used precast concrete ballast channels to form the ballast deck. Typical of Milwaukee Road bridges, these channels had significantly deteriorated by the mid-20th Century and were replaced by a timber ballast channel in December 1952. The approach spans consist of a standard concrete skeleton abutment design, which appears as a hybrid of concrete arch, concrete slab and concrete beam designs. Each approach uses three lines of arched longitudinal concrete beams to connect the piers and abutments to form two spans. These three beams are connected by square transverse beams at the mid-point of each span, forming four cells per track. The piers adjacent to the girder spans consist of three massive concrete columns, which are connected by transverse concrete arches at the mid-point and at the top. The middle pier of each skeleton abutment uses three concrete columns, which are connected by an arched transverse beam at the top. The abutment uses a solid concrete backwall and elongated U-shaped walls extending parallel to the track. Each approach/substructure appears to have been constructed as one large unit.

Milwaukee Bridge Company fabricated the superstructure, while labor employed by the Milwaukee Road Bridge & Building Department constructed the concrete portions of the bridge. Skeleton abutments were often used by the Milwaukee Road, particularly in areas where tall approach embankments would be prone to scour or failure. A handful of different variations of this design were used by the Milwaukee Road, but the most common used a concrete arch fascia to give the appearance of concrete arches. Despite the appearance, these approaches do not function like a concrete arch and instead are more similar to a beam or slab bridge. Deck plate girder spans were also popular for railroad use, as they were durable and easy to construct. Since the initial construction, a handful of repairs have been made to the bridge. Portions of the approaches have been encased with concrete, and timber cribbing supports the upper transverse arch at the west face of the east approach. Today, the bridge remains in use as a branch line for BNSF Railway. Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair condition, with some spalling and cracking noted throughout the approaches. The author has ranked the bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.


Citations

Build date Milwaukee Road Bridge Index, located at the Milwaukee Road Archives at the Milwaukee Public Library
Builder (superstructure) Milwaukee Bridge Company stenciling
Railroad History Citation ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele

Loading...