| Name | CPKC Chariton River Bridge Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad Bridge #I-498 |
| Built By | Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad |
| Currently Owned By | Canadian Pacific Kansas City Limited |
| Superstructure Contractor | Unknown |
| Substructure Builder | Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company Forces |
| Length | 118 Feet Total, 85 Foot Main Span |
| Width | 1 Track |
| Height Above Ground | 20 Feet (Estimated) |
| Superstructure Design | Through Plate Girder and Timber Pile Trestle |
| Substructure Design | Concrete and Timber Pile |
| Date Built | c. 1930 |
| Traffic Count | 10 Trains/Day (Estimated) |
| Current Status | In Use |
| Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad Bridge Number | I-498 |
| Significance | Local Significance |
| Documentation Date | 10/8/2017 |
In 1882, the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway (Milwaukee
Road) began construction on a new railroad line, extending from Cedar
Rapids, Iowa to Ottumwa, Iowa. The 40-mile line would be completed in
1884. By 1885, work was authorized to begin towards Kansas City,
Missouri; a critical railroad hub in the Midwest. The extension opened
in 1887, giving the Milwaukee Road a direct route between Chicago and
Kansas City. The Milwaukee Road acquired and constructed a large amount
of track throughout the Midwest during the 1870s and 1880s. At the
Cedar Rapids suburb of Marion, the route connected to the Milwaukee Road
mainline across Iowa. By the early 1900s, a direct connection to the
Mississippi River town of Davenport was desired, and in 1901, the
Rutledge Cutoff was completed. The cutoff extended from Rutledge, Iowa
to Muscatine, Iowa, and allowed for a quicker way to access the
Milwaukee Road facilities at Davenport, as well as shortened the travel
time and distance from Chicago to Kansas City. Between Davenport and
Muscatine, the railroad jointly owned a line with the Chicago, Rock
Island & Pacific Railroad (Rock Island).
The Milwaukee Road operated this route as a principal mainline, and the line served as a primary connection between the two largest railroad hubs in the United States. The Milwaukee Road was often in financial trouble, especially after the costly Pacific Extension was completed in 1909. In 1925, the company declared bankruptcy, and reorganized as the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad in 1928. Significant upgrades were made to the line in the 1930s and 1940s, although the line remained single tracked. In 1930-1931, the Milwaukee Road and Rock Island reconstructed their lines from Polo, Missouri to Kansas City, abandoning much of the original line. A new bridge into Kansas City was completed in 1945, further improving operations. In 1980, the Rock Island went bankrupt, and the Milwaukee Road purchased the Davenport to Washington, Iowa line; abandoning their own line between Washington and Muscatine. By 1985, a suitor for the Milwaukee Road was being sought, and the Soo Line Railroad, controlled by Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) purchased the Milwaukee Road in 1986. In 1997, CP sold this line to I&M Rail Link, which later sold it to Iowa, Chicago & Eastern Railroad (IC&E), a subsidiary of Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad (DM&E). In 2008, DM&E and IC&E were purchased by CP. CP merged with Kansas City Southern Railway in 2023 to form CPKC, the current owner of this route. The CPKC operates the Ottumwa Subdivision between Davenport and Ottumwa, the Laredo Subdivision between Ottumwa and Laredo, Missouri; as well as the Kansas City Subdivision between Laredo and Kansas City. The route between Polo and Kansas City is shared with Union Pacific Railroad, which eventually acquired the former Rock Island line. This route now forms the principal mainline of the CPKC system, and traffic is expected to increase significantly over the coming years.
Located in Rathbun, this through plate girder bridge carries a former Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road) mainline over the Chariton River. Little is known about the history of this bridge, and it appears the structure was built in stages. The first bridge at this location was likely a timber truss bridge with lengthy timber pile trestle approaches, constructed when the line was first built. In the mid-1890s, the Milwaukee Road made significant improvements to this line, replacing the first generation of bridges with new steel structures. In 1895, the original bridge was replaced with a 75-foot through plate girder span, which was fabricated by the Lassig Bridge & Iron Works of Chicago, Illinois and retained extensive timber approaches. A second major rebuilding project occurred on this line in the early 20th Century, when many timber substructures were upgraded to concrete. In 1902, the through plate girder span was placed onto new concrete piers. As trains became heavier in the 20th Century, the Milwaukee Road undertook another improvement project along this line through the 1930s, replacing many of the 1890s bridges with heavier structures of a similar design. In approximately 1930, a new through plate girder span was placed, and the 1895-era span was likely reused at another location. In approximately 1980, 24 of the 26 timber pile trestle spans on the east approach were filled, followed by all 28 spans on the west approach in approximately 2000, giving the bridge its present configuration.
Currently, the bridge consists of an 85-foot type "C4" through plate girder span, set onto concrete piers and approached by two timber pile trestle spans on the east end. The main span follows a standard design for the late 1920s and early 1930s, with two heavy plate girders, rounded girder ends and a standard floor. It is unclear if this span was new when installed here, or if it may have been reused from another location. Other through girder spans in the area use square girder ends, and were constructed in the late 1930s. Type "C4" girder spans were a standard Milwaukee Road design, and differed from type "C3" spans in the use of two heavier stringers instead of the four lighter stringers seen on "C3" spans. The east pier uses a standard rectangular shape, while the west abutment consists of a rectangular pier which has been altered into an abutment with additional concrete. An unknown contractor fabricated the main span, while the concrete substructures were likely constructed by railroad company forces. Through plate girder spans were popular for railroad use, as they were durable and easy to construct. During the early 20th Century, the Milwaukee Road used company labor almost exclusively to construct concrete bridges and culverts, as the company found this arrangement to be more cost effective than constructing masonry by contract. Since the initial construction, the bridge has seen few alterations except for the filling of the approaches. Today, the bridge remains in regular use. Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair to good condition, with some spalling noted on the substructures. The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
Citations
| Railroad History Citation | ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele |