| Name | BNSF English Creek Bridge (East) Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Bridge #25.42 |
| Built By | Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad |
| Currently Owned By | BNSF Railway |
| Superstructure Contractor | Keystone Bridge Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Main Span) Unknown (Approach Span) |
| Substructure Contractor | Unknown |
| Length | 207 Feet Total, 76 Foot Main Span |
| Width | 1 Track |
| Height Above Ground | 15 Feet (Estimated) |
| Superstructure Design | Through Plate Girder, Steel Stringer, Concrete Modular Girder and Timber Pile Trestle (Prior to 2020) |
| Substructure Design | Concrete, Timber Pile (Prior to 2020) and Steel Pile |
| Date Fabricated | 1892 (Main Span) c. 1900 (Approach Span) |
| Date Erected | 1939; Approaches Rebuilt 2001 and 2020 |
| Original Location | Unknown (Main Span) Unknown (Approach Span) |
| Traffic Count | 2 Trains/Day (Estimated) |
| Current Status | In Use |
| Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Bridge Number | 25.42 |
| BNSF Railway Bridge Number | 25.42 |
| Significance | Local Significance |
| Documentation Date | 10/8/2017 |
Between 1871 and 1875, the Albia, Knoxville and Des Moines Railroad (AK&DN) completed 33 miles of new railroad line, extending from Albia, Iowa to Knoxville, Iowa. The project was funded by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q), and the AK&DM was operated under lease of the CB&Q from the time of completion. In 1880, the Des Moines & Knoxville Railway (DM&K) completed an additional 35 miles of new railroad, extending from Knoxville to Des Moines, Iowa. Similar to the AK&DM, the DM&K was also operated under lease by the CB&Q from the date of completion. At Albia, the line connected to an existing CB&Q mainline; and at Des Moines the line connected to several other railroads and terminals. In 1901, the CB&Q formally purchased the two railroads as part of a larger consolidation of CB&Q-controlled railroads. By the early 20th Century, the CB&Q had become a large Midwestern railroad, operating several main and branch lines throughout the area. This line served as a secondary line, providing the CB&Q with a second connection between the mainline across southern Iowa and Des Moines.
Between Albia and Harvey, Iowa; the CB&Q line paralleled a Wabash Railway line that served the same endpoints. In 1934, the CB&Q and Wabash agreed to share trackage between Albia and Tracy, Iowa. The original CB&Q was removed between Hamilton, Iowa and Tracy in 1935; and the CB&Q and Wabash shared the CB&Q tracks between Albia and Hamilton. During the early 1960s, Iowa began work on Lake Red Rock, a large dam and lake to improve flooding concerns on the Des Moines River. As part of the work, the CB&Q was forced to consolidate operations and relocate between Runnells and the southeast side of Des Moines. The CB&Q and Wabash agreed to jointly use the CB&Q tracks between Harvey and Swan, Iowa; and Wabash tracks between Runnells and Des Moines. In 1964, a new connection and bridge across the Des Moines River was completed between Swan and Runnells. In 1970, CB&Q merged with Northern Pacific Railway and Great Northern Railway to form Burlington Northern Railroad (BN). In 1996, BN merged with Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway to form BNSF Railway, the current owner of this line. Today, BNSF operates the line as the Des Moines Subdivision. Norfolk Southern Railway (NS, successor of the Wabash) also operates over the line. The abandoned segments have largely reverted to adjacent landowners and have been converted to farmfields.
Located west of Harvey, this through plate girder bridge is the eastern of three bridges carrying a former Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad secondary line over English Creek. The first bridge at this location was likely a timber pile trestle bridge, constructed when the line was first built. In 1915, the bridge was replaced by a secondhand 96-foot Pratt through truss span, set onto concrete piers and approached by timber pile trestle spans. It is unclear where this span was reused from, and which contractor fabricated it. In 1939, the bridge was again rebuilt with a secondhand through plate girder span, a secondhand steel stringer span and timber pile trestle approaches, set onto an additional new concrete pier. It is unclear if the truss span was further reused, or if it was scrapped. Recent alterations include the replacement of the west trestle approach in 2001, and the replacement of the east trestle approach and beam span in 2020, giving the bridge its present configuration. Prior to the reconstruction of the east approach, the bridge consisted of a 76-foot through plate girder span, approached by a 21-foot steel stringer span and three timber pile trestle spans on the east end and four timber pile trestle spans on the west end. Concrete piers were used to support the metal spans, while the remainder of the bridge was set onto timber pile substructures.
The through plate girder span was originally fabricated in 1892 for use at an unknown location. This span consists of two heavy plate girders, a standard floor system and square girder ends. The stringer span was originally fabricated in approximately 1900 for use at an unknown location, and consisted of six shallow beams, arranged into two sets of three. It is unclear if this span was originally part of one bridge, or was secondhand scrap material reused as a bridge span. The piers use an unusual design, consisting of two large concrete columns, connected by a concrete beam at the top. Keystone Bridge Company fabricated the main span, while an unknown contractor fabricated the approach spans. It is unclear if the concrete piers were constructed by railroad company forces or by unknown contractors, and it is believed the timber components were constructed by railroad company forces. Railroads often reused steel and iron spans, as it provided a cost effective way to upgrade bridges without requiring large amounts of new material. Through plate girder spans were popular for railroad use, as they were durable and easy to construct. Steel stringer spans were commonly used for approach and "jump" spans, although it is unusual for a jump span to be set onto two concrete piers. It is likely that constructing a new pier and installing secondhand spans was cheaper than ordering a new 96-foot span. Since the initial construction, the bridge has seen a number of alterations, including the replacement of both approaches with concrete modular girder spans. As part of the work, the eastern pier was demolished and replaced with a modern bent. These spans use a standard design, with steel pile substructures and a ballast deck. Today, the through plate girder span carries an active BNSF Railway/Norfolk Southern Railroad line, while the remainder has been replaced by modern spans. Overall, the bridge appeared to be in fair condition at the time of replacement, although significant deterioration was noted to the eastern pier. The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design and unclear history.
Citations
| Fabrication date, erection date and builder (main span) | Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Bridge Book - Allen Moore collection - BRHS Archives |
| Railroad History Citation | ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele |