| Name | BNSF Grand River Bridge (Talmage) Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Bridge #379.51 |
| Built By | Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad |
| Currently Owned By | BNSF Railway |
| Superstructure Contractor | Unknown (Spans #1, #3 and #5) American Bridge Company of New York (Lassig Plant) (Spans #2 and #4) |
| Substructure Contractor | Unknown (Piers) Unknown (Abutments) |
| Length | 448 Feet Total, 150 Foot Main Span |
| Width | 2 Tracks |
| Height Above Ground | 30 Feet (Estimated) |
| Superstructure Design | Pratt Deck Truss and Deck Plate Girder |
| Substructure Design | Concrete |
| Date Fabricated | 1890 (Span #3) 1901 (Spans #2 and #4) 1914 (Spans #1 and #5) |
| Date Erected | 1901 (Spans #2, #3 and #4) 1914 (Spans #1 and #5) |
| Date Replaced | July 2026 |
| Original Location (Truss Span) | Unknown |
| Traffic Count | 0 Trains/Day (Bridge has been Replaced) |
| Current Status | Replaced by a new bridge |
| Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Bridge Number | 379.51 |
| BNSF Railway Bridge Number | 379.51 |
| Significance | Regional Significance |
| Documentation Date | 11/12/2016 |
In May 1854, the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad (B&MR) began constructing a new mainline across southern Iowa, with the goal of connecting the Mississippi River at Burlington, Iowa to the Missouri River near Omaha, Nebraska. In 1857, the first 34 miles between Burlington and the Skunk River near Rome, Iowa were completed. In 1859, an additional 41 miles between the Skunk River and Ottumwa, Iowa were completed. The railroad ceased progress during the Civil War, and eventually continued west in 1866. That year, an additional 24 miles were completed between Ottumwa and Albia, Iowa. Work continued in 1867, when an additional 46 miles were completed to Woodburn, Iowa. Between 1867 and 1868, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) constructed a bridge across the Mississippi River to connect this line to their lines in Chicago. In 1868, an additional 34 miles opened west to Afton, Iowa; followed by an additional 59 miles west to Red Oak, Iowa in 1869 and an additional 32 miles to the Pacific Junction, Iowa in 1870. In 1872, the B&MR was leased by the CB&Q; and was fully absorbed by the company in 1875. In the 1870s, the line would be extended into Nebraska, and in 1880, a bridge was constructed across the Missouri River at Plattsmouth.
This line formed a critical backbone for the CB&Q, connecting Chicago to territories west of the Missouri River. By the late 1870s, the need for a second track on this route had become apparent. A second track was constructed between Chillicothe, Iowa and Albia in 1879, including a new alignment around the south side of Albia. In 1880, a second track was constructed between Burlington and West Burlington, Iowa; as well as between Albia and Russell, Iowa. In 1885, a second track was constructed between Russell and Chariton, Iowa; followed by between Ottumwa and Chillicothe the following year. A large segment of second track opened between West Burlington and Mt. Pleasant, Iowa in 1889. By the turn of the 20th Century, several sections of this line required extensive upgrades in addition to a second track. In 1900, a second track was completed from Mt. Pleasant to Ottumwa and from Chariton to Creston, Iowa. A new alignment was constructed between Fairfield, Iowa and Batavia, Iowa; and between Agency, Iowa and Ottumwa in 1900. In 1901, the line was double tracked between Chariton and Creston. The 1901 work involved constructing a second single track alignment between Indianola Junction and Lucas, Iowa; between Woodburn and Osceola, Iowa and between Murray, Iowa and Creston. Between 1902 and 1905, the Creston to Pacific Junction segment was double tracked. In 1904, a realignment between Nodaway, Iowa and Emerson, Iowa opened to traffic; followed by a large realignment between Malvern, Iowa and Pacific Junction in 1905.
Throughout the 20th Century, this line remained critical to the CB&Q. The CB&Q invested significant capital into maintaining this line, replacing bridges, revising grades and changing the alignment in spots. One of the most prominent changes came in 1949, when the westbound track near Frederic, Iowa was straightened, to eliminate a segment of curvy original mainline. In 1970, CB&Q merged with Northern Pacific Railway and Great Northern Railway to form Burlington Northern Railroad (BN). Several segments of this line were single tracked in the mid to late 20th Century. In 1996, BN merged with Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway to form BNSF Railway, the current owner of this line. Today, this line remains a critical piece of railroad infrastructure. BNSF currently operates a portion of the Ottumwa Subdivision between Burlington and Creston; and a portion of the Creston Subdivision between Creston and Pacific Junction.
Located west of Thayer near the former station of Talmage Junction, this deck truss bridge carried a former Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad mainline over the Grand River. Originally, the CB&Q ran on a different alignment, crossing the Grand River about 1,700 feet southwest. It is believed the first bridge at that location consisted of a wooden truss bridge, constructed when the line was first built. It is likely that the bridge was upgraded in the late 1870s or early 1880s with a new iron truss bridge of an unknown design. It is not clear if the bridge was again upgraded in the late 1880s or early 1890s. Between 1900 and 1901, the CB&Q constructed a new alignment and double tracked the line between Murray and Creston. As part of the project, a new double track bridge was constructed on a more northerly alignment. The bridge originally featured a secondhand deck truss span, approached by a single large deck plate girder span and timber pile trestle on either end. In 1914, new approach spans were added at either end, giving the bridge its final configuration. The bridge consisted of a 150-foot, 6-panel, pin-connected Pratt deck truss span, approached by a 105-foot and a 44-foot deck plate girder span on either end. The entire bridge was set onto concrete substructures, with timber helper bents added under the 105-foot spans in the late 20th Century. The truss span was reportedly fabricated in 1890 for use at an unknown location, before being moved here with minimal alterations. An unknown contractor fabricated the truss span (span #3) and the approach spans (spans #1 and #5), while American Bridge Company fabricated the 105-foot spans (spans #2 and #4) at their Lassig Plant in Chicago. It is believed that the main piers (piers #2 and #3) were constructed by railroad company forces, and it is unclear if the remainder of the substructures were constructed by railroad company forces or by an unknown contractor.
The truss span followed a standard CB&Q design, with light built-up members, a standard floor system and pinned connections of various sizes. The top chords and endposts both consisted of built-up square beams, with V-lacing on the bottom and solid plates on top. The bottom chord used eyebars at the center two panels and built-up beams with V-lacing on both sides at the outer two panels. The three center vertical members were composed of built-up beams which used V-lacing on both sides, while the outer vertical members consisted of extremely light rods. These vertical members connected to the bottom chord with small diameter pins, while the remainder of the connections used standard sized pins. The diagonal members were exclusively composed of steel bars, which were formed into eyebars at either end. At each end of the truss, a bent was present which was formed from built-up V-laced beams. The truss was braced by an internal lateral bracing composed of solid beams, which likely replaced the original bracing in approximately 1940. In addition, the endposts were braced by a series of V-laced beams. The floor system included floorbeams placed above the top chord, which consisted of plate girders. Two plate girder stringers supported each track, and also appear to have been added in the mid-20th Century. Both the upper and lower lateral bracing were composed of L-shaped steel bars. The 105-foot deck plate girders used a standard design, with two massive girders per track and a standard open deck design. The approach spans were similar, but used shallow girders. The abutments used a standard U-shaped design, while the piers consisted of both a standard rounded design and a standard rectangular design. The substructures were most likely founded on timber piles.
Due to the flat terrain, deck truss spans are relatively uncommon in Iowa. Deck trusses were most often used for tall bridges, which minimized substructure costs. The Pratt truss pattern was arguably the most common truss design for railroad use during the second half of the 20th Century, due to the simplicity of the design. By the turn of the 20th Century, the design was largely superseded by riveted Warren trusses, which gave greater loading and rigidity while not significantly increasing costs. The 105-foot spans were unusually large for the era, with most plate girders limited to approximately 90 feet. Deck plate girder spans were popular for railroad use, due to the durability and ease of construction. After 125 years of use, the bridge was replaced by a modern bridge during the summer of 2026. At the time of documentation, the bridge appeared to be in fair condition, but was likely too light for modern railroad traffic. The author has ranked the bridge as being regionally significant, due to the truss design, age and unknown history.
Citations
| Build dates | Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Valuation Summary at the Newberry Library |
| Builder (105-foot deck girders) | Missing American Bridge Company plaque |
| Railroad History Citation | ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele |