- 1874: 32 miles completed from Sheboygan to Two Rivers, Wisconsin by the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad
- 1875: Name change to Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railway
- 1893: MLS&W purchased by Chicago & North Western Railway
- 1988: Two Rivers branch sold to the Fox Valley & Western Railway
- 1993: FV&W purchased by Wisconsin Central, Ltd
- Unknown date: Two Rivers branch is abandoned
This beautiful Quadrangular Through Truss Bridge crosses an abandoned Canadian National Railway line in Manitowoc.
Built in 1896 to cross the newly constructed Soo Line branch line; it features a truss set into a skewed situation, without being skewed.
The Quadrangular Through Truss design was a favorite of the chief C&NW engineer between the approximate years of 1895 and 1913.
The design was considered to be robust. This structure represents a second coming of the design; with the first generation being built in the early 1880s.
Despite no builder being specified; it is very likely that Lassig Bridge & Iron Works of Chicago built this structure, judging by the pedimented portal bracing.
The bridge is set onto stone substructures. This location is where the CN Manitowoc Subdivision moves from the former Soo Line to the former C&NW.
While the bridge is extremely historic and abandoned; it may see an uncertain future. Scrappers or the railroad companies could possibly decide to scrap the structure.
It is hoped that this will never happen, and instead the line and bridge will be turned into a recreational trail. The author has ranked this bridge as being moderately significant, due to the historic nature of the truss.
The photo above is an overview.