However in 1888, the CRIF&N built another branch from Ellsworth, Minnesota (near the State Line) to Sioux Falls.
The Sioux Falls branch crossed through Rock Rapids and Larchwood before coming into Sioux Falls from the Southeast.
The CRIF&N would become part of the Burlingon, Cedar Rapids & Northern in 1902.
The BCR&N would be swallowed by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific in 1903, which was commonly known as the Rock Island.
The Rock Island operated many of the Southwest branch lines until the late 1970s, as they began their rapid decent into bankruptcy. This one was abandoned in 1977.
Today, some pieces of the BCR&N still survive. Bridges in Sioux Falls and Rock Rapids mark a time past.
This large concrete and arch bridge crosses the West Branch of the Little Sioux River west of Lake Park.
Built in 1900, the bridge features a large brick lined concrete arch, set onto concrete substructures. This is one of several similar bridges along this route.
Because brick is stronger than concrete, the brick lining was a favorite of the BCR&N between 1899 and 1903.
Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair to poor condition, with significant superstructure damage. The structure received rehabilitation in 2018, as it is planned to carry the Tatonka Ska Trace Trail. This reconstruction included the encasement of the brick lining.
The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview.