However in 1888, the CRIF&N built another branch from Ellsworth, Minnesota (near the State Line) to Sioux Falls.
The Sioux Falls branch crossed through Rock Rapids and Larchwood before coming into Sioux Falls from the Southeast.
The CRIF&N would become part of the Burlingon, Cedar Rapids & Northern in 1902.
The BCR&N would be swallowed by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific in 1903, which was commonly known as the Rock Island.
The Rock Island operated many of the Southwest branch lines until the late 1970s, as they began their rapid decent into bankruptcy. This one was abandoned in 1977.
Today, some pieces of the BCR&N still survive. Bridges in Sioux Falls and Rock Rapids mark a time past.
This small concrete encased beam bridge crosses Soldier Creek near 150th Avenue.
Built in 1902, the bridge initially appears to be a culvert. However, upon closer inspection it is actually a small concrete encased beam bridge, set onto concrete substructures.
Commonly used to cross small streams, this bridge likely replaced a simple wooden trestle. The bridge features only one decorative feature, the use of curved abutments at the joint with the superstructure.
Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair to poor condition, with significant substructure damage. The structure received rehabilitation in 2018, as it is planned to carry the Tatonka Ska Trace Trail.
The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview.