This new line allowed for faster shipments between two of the largest cities in the booming North Dakota.
In 1890, the StPM&M became a part of the Great Northern Railway. The Great Northern continued to operate this line through the 20th century, providing a critical connection between Fargo and North Dakota, which was also accomplished with several parallel lines.
However, the GN preferred this line to the P Line, the Ada Subdivision or the Mayville Line. In 1970, when the Great Northern merged with Northern Pacific and Chicago, Burlington & Quincy to form Burlington Northern; this was well shown.
While the other lines were slowly abandoned, this line became priority for upgrades.
In 1996, the BN merged with Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe to form BNSF Railway, the current operator of this line. It is currently operated as the Hillsboro Subdivision.
This simple bridge crosses the Goose River just north of Hillsboro, North Dakota and parallel to ND-200.
It is comprised of three deck plate girder spans, and is approached by a modern concrete beam type bridge.
Built in 1909, it appears that the north approach was rebuilt in the early 2000s, replacing possibly another beam span.
The bridge rests on concrete substructures. Designs like this are extremely common throughout America, but due to the local terrain of North Dakota, there is little need for any medium and large sized bridges.
Because of this, the author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant.
The photo above is an overview.