However in 1888, the CRIF&N built another branch from Ellsworth, Minnesota (near the State Line) to Sioux Falls.
The Sioux Falls branch crossed through Rock Rapids and Larchwood before coming into Sioux Falls from the Southeast.
The CRIF&N would become part of the Burlingon, Cedar Rapids & Northern in 1902.
The BCR&N would be swallowed by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific in 1903, which was commonly known as the Rock Island.
The Rock Island operated many of the Southwest branch lines until the late 1970s, as they began their rapid decent into bankruptcy. This one was abandoned in 1977.
Today, some pieces of the BCR&N still survive. Bridges in Sioux Falls and Rock Rapids mark a time past.
This standard concrete and brick arch crosses Otter Creek just east of Sibley.
The span is a simple, small and durable design. Compared to other Rock Island arches of similar designs nearby, this one appears to be in tougher condition however.
The interior is brick, while the exterior is a concrete facade. However, the concrete is beginning to crumble.
The author has ranked the bridge as local significant because of the common and insignificant design. The 1900 date however, is an early example of concrete bridge building.
The structure is located near the trails crossing with County A22, just east of IA-60.
The photo above is an overview.