The G&CC was eventually absorbed by the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway in 1891. The route ran through towns such as Minooka, before crossing the Illinois River near Aux Sable.
This short route has a heavy industrial background. It was originally constructed to haul coal from the rich coalfields of Grundy County, however it later manifested significant industrial areas near the Illinois River and Minooka.
It is unknown when the branch south of the Illinois River was abandoned. The EJ&E was purchased by Canadian National in 2009, which currently owns the line across the Illinois River.
Located in the town of Minooka, this bridge crosses West Mondamin Street near Ridge Road.
Built in 1903, the bridge features a single deck plate girder span, set onto stone substructures. This bridge is an oddity for its survival, as it was originally built to cross a small dirt road, but now crosses a major arterial road.
Girder spans like this were commonly used to cross creeks and roads, due to the durability and simplicity to build.
Since construction, the bridge appears to remain significantly unchanged, with no major alterations to the bridge noted.
Overall, the bridge appears to be in good condition, with minor deterioration noted throughout the structure.
The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview.